the path to teaching in the Iyengar lineage
for those seeking mentoring & recommendation for certification assessment in the Iyengar system
prerequisites & expectations
- weekly study (for local students) at public classes with Jennifer Beaumont. Attendance should be at one class at your level and one class at the level at which you will be assessed, either as a student or assistant.
- attendance at IYCGR Intensive weekends/ Deep Study Days for local & out of town students.
- dedicated, clear commitment to Iyengar yoga
- You must have three years minimum of study in the Iyengar method and have been taking a weekly class with a Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher (CIYT) these years. (Exceptions for the weekly class requirement are for those who do not have regular access to an Iyengar teacher.)
- daily home practice of asana & pranayama
- expect to apprentice & mentor for at least three years before applying for Intro I & II assessment
- Have a daily practice that includes inversions (Sirsasana, Sarvangasana, Halasana, Setu bandha sarvangasana).
- Study and learn the complete names of all the basic poses in Sanskrit and English.
- Immersion in Iyengar method & study only with CIYTs (exceptions include anatomy classes)
- weekly, attend at least one class with your mentor at your level, and also attend at least one class at beginner's levels (and eventually observe & assist those classes)
- Attending & Assisting Gentle & Restorative yoga for the experience of understanding how to address common problems with sequences and modifications of āsana.
- Purchase & study these following references: Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar, Yoga in Action: Preliminary Course by Geeta Iyengar, Yoga a Gem for Women by Geeta Iyengar, Light on Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by B.K.S. Iyengar
Certification of Iyengar Yoga Teachers
"Iyengar Yoga" is the term conventionally used to describe the method of practicing and teaching yoga that has been developed by B.K.S. Iyengar and his family. The goal of teacher certification is to maintain, promote, and protect the excellence of this method for the practice and teaching of yoga.
B.K.S. Iyengar has authorized various national and regional entities to certify teachers under his direction and that of Geeta and Prashant Iyengar. The B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States (IYNAUS) carries out certification of Iyengar Yoga Teachers in the United States. B.K.S. Iyengar developed all the essential requirements for certification and rules governing certification, as well as the various levels of certification. IYNAUS is responsible for the administrative aspects of assessment and certification in the United States.
As of August 14, 2007, the name "IYENGAR" associated with "YOGA" has been registered as a trademark and is protected in the United States in order to ensure that yoga associated with the Iyengar name, reflects his work. Only CIYT's are permitted to use "Iyengar Yoga" to describe their yoga programs. Non-Certified Teachers may not use the term "Iyengar Yoga," or any related terms such as "Iyengar-style" or "Iyengar-influenced," in any form of business advertising or for any program for financial gain. They may only indicate that they have taken classes with a CIYT (Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher). The Iyengar Yoga community welcomes these teachers to participate in our certification process. That way, they too can earn the right and responsibility to say that they teach Iyengar Yoga.
--2016 IYNAUS CERTIFICATION MANUAL
study, practice, and training for those seeking IYNAUS certification
You are encouraged to explore a course of self study. Attendance at weekly yoga classes with a CIYT is essential for teacher preparing for assessment at any level. Attendance at workshops, national Iyengar Yoga conventions or conferences, and at RIMYI is strongly encouraged.
Candidates for all levels of assessment should prepare for certification under the direction of a mentor. Candidates must seek out CIYT with an Intermediate Junior I or higher certificate who agrees to act as the candidate's mentor. A list of CIYT's is available on the IYNAUS website: www.iynaus.org.
The mentoring teacher takes the responsibility of seeing the candidate through the completion of the Introductory I & II assessment and beyond if circumstances permit. It is strongly recommended that you maintain your relationship with your mentoring teacher throughout your studies.
--2016 IYNAUS CERTIFICATION MANUAL